At least 17 children in Spain have developed the so-called werewolf syndrome after consuming a medication that was poorly labeled, according to sources from the country's Ministry of Health cited by the Spanish press.
According to the EFE agency, children - most of them under 1 year old - from different parts of the country suffer from hypertrichosis, a disease characterized by hair growth throughout the body, due to the fact that they ingested an anti-alopecia medication that it had been labeled a syrup against intestinal reflux.
The Spanish pharmaceutical company Farma-Química Sur SL responsible for the products imported the drug that promotes hair growth to a manufacturer in India. The Spanish Agency of Medicines and Health Products ordered that it be withdrawn from pharmacies and hospitals of the product, according to Spanish media.
"[The boy] grew his hair quickly, he had eczema and respiratory problems," the mother of one of those affected, who was only identified as Angela, told the ABC newspaper. pilgrimage for medical consultations without anyone being able to find an explanation.
Finally, she decided to stop giving him the anti-reflux drug that she had been giving him for a month after birth. "Now it's fine," the mother told the newspaper, who pointed out that the child's skin still suffers.
Experts say that the sudden growth of body hair caused in patients who ingested the medication will stop once the product is stopped.
Four affected families filed a complaint last July, while the prosecution in the autonomous community of Cantabria has opened an investigation to clarify what happened.
Popular by topic
26 children found hidden in daycare in Colorado
A fire in a nursery school takes the lives of five children
Woman Accidentally Given Erectile Dysfunction Medication for Her Dry Eyes
They separate Kanye West from Kim Kardashian and her children, North West and Saint West; she is "worried" about having him around the children
Magic Mike actor clapped and walked with three girls who have this disease